Customers are always looking for the best price; but don't overlook the importance of helpful, well-informed service from your staff as well. Staff who understand wood and can talk knowledgeably to customers are more likely to be able to sell them value-added products, recommend to them the right products for the job, and advise them of any pitfalls.
Woodexperts offer efficient, targeted training for your staff, helping them to learn exactly what you want them to learn, backed up by the excellent timber technology expertise of our tutors. In this way, we establish an engaging and fascinating wood science-based context for all aspects of your operation, and inspire your staff with the confidence to get out there and talk timber!
NEW FOR 2019: WOOD SCIENCE WORKSHOPS
In response to a demand for technical knowledge on a limited range of specific topics, which have become increasingly relevant in the current climate, training provider TFT Woodexperts have announced the introduction of a suite of fixed-price, multi-venue short courses, to be rolled out in 2019. The topics are:
FIRE, MOISTURE, PLYWOOD and HARDWOOD
Workshops will be held in each of 4 venues across the country, CENTRAL LONDON, EAST MIDLANDS (LINCOLNSHIRE), NORTH (RIPON, YORKS) and SOUTH WEST (SWINDON), (except Hardwood which will be at Swindon as it includes a sawmill tour).
The format will be a half day workshop, morning from 8.30 to 12.30 or afternoon from 1.00 to 5.00. and the price is just £50 + VAT, per person, a nominal charge to cover costs of room hire, tutor’s travel etc. The Hardwood workshop is a full day, from 9.30 to 4.30, which costs £100 + VAT per person. Places at all 4 venues are strictly limited, and payment is made in advance, with the booking. It is also planned to hold workshops at individual companies’ premises, should there be sufficient demand.
APPRECIATION & REFRESHER COURSES
Woodexperts can offer short courses to improve the general knowledge of your staff and encourage them in best practice, including:
- Appreciation of tiling batten grading to BS 5534
- Appreciation of scaffold board grading to BS 2482
- Recognising dangerous or ungraded scaffold boards
- Refresher training on grading of softwoods, tiling battens and scaffold boards
VISUAL STRENGTH GRADING: PROFICIENCY EXAMS
Woodexperts provide practical training to help your staff achieve a recognised qualification in Visual Strength Grading:
- Softwoods to BS 4978
- Temperate Hardwoods to BS 5756
- Tropical Hardwoods to BS 5756
- Scaffold Board grading to BS 2482
- Woodexperts - Use of Sustainable Wood Products in Roofing
TIMBER IN ROOFS
The course focuses on compliance, sustainability and responsibility with regard to the use of timber in roofing, and includes:
- Understanding environmental benefits of using timber in construction
- Challenges of global warming
- The structure of timber
- Strength-reducing growth characteristics that can affect battens
- Rules for assessment of battens
- British Standards requirements for grading
This course includes practical assessment and end test.